The Granite boulders that give Tibooburra its name and provided the gold that established the town are a distinctive feature of the townscape. Outcrops of boulders are found not only on the edges of town but on vacant blocks along the Main Street and give the town its unique character. The granite tors or boulders around Tibooburra are the exposed remnants of an underground intrusion of a mass granite that is about 410 million years old. This hot rock cooked older sedimentary muds and sands and as the resulting slates folded, fluids containing gold in solution where pushed up the axis of the folds, precipitating quartz veins containing gold. These slates with their gold-bearing quartz veins were exposed to weathering and eroded during the Jurassic period 205 – 141 million years ago. Later during the Cretaceous period 141-35 million years ago sands built up over gravels eventually turning into sandstone. The granite boulders form a remarkable contract to the sandstone used as the primary construction material for the major buildings in town, which comes from the quarries in the sandstone outcrop on the common.
First weekend in October and New Years Eve Our feature attractions are: rodeo, horse sports, motor bike events including racing for all ages, free children’s activities (e.g. jumping castle), kiosk facilities, all day catering as well as evening entertainment including a live band and a licenced bar.
Captain Charles Napier Sturt was a British explorer of Australia and part of the European exploration of Australia. He led several expeditions into the interior of the continent. Depot Glen, Poole’s grave, and a cairn built by the men during their encampment from part of a privately owned sheep station known as Mt Poole.
The Sturt National Park is a protected National Park located in the arid far north-western Corner of NSW. Established in 1972, the park covers over 340,000 hectares of semi-desert country. Park facilities include four camping grounds and picnic areas. Camping is only permitted in the designated areas and by permit from the NPWS. There are self-registration and payment bays at each camping ground. As timber is a rare and valuable habitat resource, wood fires are not allowed. Walking tracks are located throughout the Park and they provide you with the opportunity to view euros, red kangaroos, emus and depending on the season, an assortment of wild flowers. A must do drive are the three tourist drives: The Jump Up, the Gorge and the Middle Road which will take you through to Cameron Corner.
Milparinka was a boomtown…brought back to life. The first proclaimed Albert Goldfields township. Milparinka is situated on the edge of Evelyn Creek. Charles Sturt camped nearby at Preservation creek for six months in 1845 and it was he who named a nearby gum creek, Evelyn Creek.
Established in 1976 by local volunteers for the P&C Association, the Drive-in Theatre is on of the few remaining open air picture theatres in Australia. It is still in use for special occasions and the committee is prepared to allow its use for groups (large enough to warrant) if prior notice or arrangements are made.
The Dingo Fence is a pest exclusion fence that was built during the 1880’s and finished in 1985 to keep dingo’s out of the relatively fertile south-east part of the continent and protect the sheep flocks of Southern QLD. It is the world’s longest fence originally stretching 5614km. It has been partly successful, though dingo’s can still be found in parts of the southern states.